Some people know it as “Hippie Haven”. Others know it as the “Live Music Capital of the World”. Some simply know it as “ATX”. We’re talking about the up and coming, picturesque, Texas capital: Austin.
With world famous music festivals, restaurants that will make foodies feel as though they are in heaven, and plenty of reasons to “Keep Austin Weird”, this city in the heart of the Lone Star State has something that can engage everyone.
What to Do:
South by Southwest (SXSW) is an annual festival for interactive media (March 11-15), film (March 11-19), and music (March 15-20). This year, X Ambassadors will be headlining and there will even be a night devoted to K-POP!
When the dome of an underground river collapsed, Hamilton Pool was created. Pack a picnic and go swimming in this natural swimming pool surrounded by waterfalls.
Watch migrating bats from Lady Bird Lake
If you’re feeling extra adventurous and courageous, take a chance on Hippie Hollow Park, the only legally recognized clothing-optional public park in all of Texas!
Riddled with legends and mystery, this geological masterpiece is by far one of the most unique places in the world.
Where to Stay:
Red Roof Plus+ Austin South
Sleep Inn & Suites Austin – Northeast
– This low key hotel is just 6 miles from UT Austin and just 9 miles from Lady Bird Lake
– Another budget hotel!!
– Free parking, weekday happy-hour drinks, and a hot breakfast buffet are available
Quality Inn & Suites
– This modern hotel is less than 2 miles from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport and less than 10 miles from the Austin Convention Center.
– Free breakfast!
– All-day coffee and a shuttle to the airport
Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
– Fancy shmancy hotel that is just 7 miles from the Zilker Botanical Garden and 8 miles from the Austin Zoo
– Upgraded rooms have balconies and some even have jacuzzi tubs
– Eleven on-site tennis courts, world-class golf courses, and indoor AND outdoor pools with poolside bars!
Where to Eat & Drink:
Get drunk on their famous, life-changing margaritas, salsa, guacamole, and nachos
Come for the coffee, stay for the hipsters at this bar/cafe joint just next to the UT campus.
You may be waiting in a painfully long line, but there are few things in life worth the wait like a meal from Franklin BBQ
Nubian Queen Lola’s Cajun Soul Food Cafe
As the Austin Chronicle so eloquently put it, Nubian Queen Lola‘s serves up the best Cajun food “this side of heaven”.
Sixth Street is part of the entertainment district, known both for its history as well as its crazy, fun, and bad-decision-filled nightlife.
So, for a great trip to kickoff spring, go Keep Austin Weird!