A Spectacular Water Show is Opening at Disney’s California Adventure
World of Color Fountains | ©HarshLight/Flickr
The rains that have been drenching Southern California will eventually clear and perfect weather for visiting the region’s many tourist attractions will return. The biggest attraction coming to Anaheim this year is a spectacular nighttime water show at Disney’s California Adventure, the second gate at the Disneyland Resort. “World of Color” will bring Disney animation to life with powerful fountains, lights, and special effects that will change the way you think about water shows.
Extensive testing of the fountains and special effects is now being conducted at Paradise Bay where “World of Color” is nearly complete. After draining the bay, teams of Disney workers built nearly an acre of superstructure to support the complex production. Walt Disney Imagineering installed the massive infrastructure and advanced technology that creates the stage for this extraordinary combination of music, animation and stunning water effects.
World of Color | ©HarshLight/Flickr
Unofficially, the premier of “World of Color” is set for this May at Disney’s California Adventure.
“World of Color” will combine hundreds of magnificent fountains, dazzling colors and an all-new kaleidoscope of audio and visual effects, to take water-infused entertainment to a new level of artistry. The production will flood the senses, taking audiences on an imaginative journey into the colorful worlds of animated Disney classics such as “Alice in Wonderland,” “The Lion King” and “Pocahontas,” along with Disney•Pixar films “Toy Story,” “WALL-E” and many more.
The production will feature an unprecedented infrastructure of water effects, larger-than-life projections, lasers, fire, fog, surround sound, and stunning images. This technical wizardry, combined with classic Disney film sequences, will create a breathtaking emotional experience for guests, as jaw-dropping effects sweep across the lagoon, soar into the sky, and rush toward the audience.
A newly designed 9,000-capacity viewing area will provide Disney’s California Adventure guests the best view in the park of this exciting nighttime extravaganza. The show lasts approximately 25 minutes. You’ll want to get to the park early in the day to secure a priority viewing pass for best viewing of the show. Guests arriving later in the day will be forced to watch from the sides of back of the bay.
Some of the technical magic behind ‘World of Color’ includes:
- Nearly 1 full acre of engineered superstructure, longer than a football field and capable of settling on three levels – one for the performance, one under the water surface and one for maintenance
- More than 1,200 powerful and programmable fountains
- A vast underwater grid with more than 18,000 points of control. Each fountain has multiple points of control for lighting, color intensity, water angle, height and more.
- Fountain heights that range from 30 feet to 200 feet in the air (by way of comparison, Mickey’s Fun Wheel reaches a height of 150 feet, some of it below the edge of the lagoon)
- A precise system of flame projections, lasers, and special effects that will flood the senses as guests experience the animation
- Scenic elements that rise more than 80 feet above the lagoon
- The world’s largest projected water screen — a wall of water 380 feet wide by 50 feet high for a projection surface of 19,000 square feet
- Nearly 30 high-definition projectors